Opening an image in Photoshop may sound like an easy task but when you are dealing with a program like Photoshop even such an easy and simple task can become less obvious. In the latest updates of Photoshop you will experience several different methods of opening an image. You can kick start your working with Photoshop in two different ways one is to create a new document and other one is opening an existing image. You can also learn about creating a new document in Photoshop CC. Photographers generally work with existing photos which they have captured.
There are several different ways of opening your image in Photoshop which includes
- Opening an image from the Start Screen
- Opening an image from File Menu.
- Opening an image from keyboard.
Opening an image from the Start Screen
When you launch Photoshop CC you are greeted with a Start screen which is also known as Start workspace. This Start workspace will be empty if you are started Photoshop for the very first time or have cleared the recent file history. If this is neither the 1st time you are starting Photoshop nor you have cleared the Recent File history than you will be greeted with the thumbnails of the images in the center of Start screen which were opened in recent past.
In order to open an image from your Start screen you need to follow these steps.
- Click the Open button on the left side of workspace in the menu area.
- After clicking Open a File Explorer will be opened where you have to navigate for the location of your required file.
- Once the file is located double click on it to select it.
- The required image will be opened in Photoshop for editing.
Opening an Image from File Menu
Apart from Start Screen you can also open your required image from File Menu which is located at the top of the screen. For opening the image from File menu you need to follow these steps:
- Click on the File menu at the top of the screen.
- A drop down window will appear where you have to select Open.
- Clicking on Open option will take you to File Explorer where you can select your required image.
- Once the required file is found double click on it to open it in Photoshop for editing.
Opening an image from Keyboard
Though you can open your required image in Photoshop through Open button in Start Screen or through File Menu but there is another way as well which is quicker than both of the above mentioned methods and that is by using keyboard shortcut. All you have to do is to press Ctrl+O keys from your keyboard and you will be shifted to File Explorer from where you can select your required image. Once the file is selected double click it to open it in Photoshop for editing.